There are lots of elements that make up cultural diversity such as ethnic origin, creed, religion, age, ability, sexual orientation, and more. Celebrating our cultural differences is important and diversity celebrations, such as Hispanic Heritage Month, are a great way to do this.
There are many reasons why people choose to participate in diversity celebrations. Here are just some examples of why people consider them important:
- They widen our knowledge which is key to tolerance.
- Cultural celebrations encourage you to look at people around you and the way they lead their lives.
- Diversity celebrations encourage open-mindedness and respect for other cultures.
- When we celebrate our differences alongside our common interests, it helps to educate and unite us.
- We are better able to understand another person’s perspective, broaden our own, fully experience the world around us and educate ourselves better.
- People around the world must understand and learn to appreciate other cultures and diversity celebrations are a way to make this happen.
- Understanding people’s backgrounds and beliefs are vital for the growth of the community as well as personal growth.
- When we spend more time together, we come to understand and appreciate each other’s cultures more.